Sunday, August 10, 2014

Songs of the Past

When I am driving to work in my car, I'll hum or sing songs to Roscoe. I don't know if he can hear me, but I hope he is thinking about me. In the story of Lazarus and the rich man (Luke 16:19-31) the rich man converses with Abraham in the afterlife about his predicament. Abraham reminded the rich man about his behavior in his former life, and the rich man remembered his family members who were still alive. My hope is that Roscoe's memory of us still remains active.

Each night I hummed songs slowly to Roscoe while his head was on my chest. I figured that he didn't understand words, but the tones echoing in my lungs would vibrate him to sleep. The songs I hummed to Roscoe were usually these (in this order):

Brahm's Lullaby
Amazing Grace (slowly)
I'll Fly Away
You are the One For Me
Alphabet Song / Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star

Roscoe was usually restless during the first song, calmed down during Amazing Grace, and then he's get into a deep sleep by the time the last two rolled around. As luck would have it, the first Sunday we came back to church after Roscoe's passing, a good friend of mine led "You Are the One For Me" without knowing that it was a song I'd hummed to Roscoe. I told him afterwards that Sunday was the first time Roscoe had ever heard that song with words in 4-part acapella.

A relative of Alisha's posted this picture on Instagram about a week ago:
Alisha's mom immediately noticed that a heart shape near the center of the picture took an uncanny resemblance to the heart-shaped bedsore on Roscoe's head. Alisha's mom (Netta) said that the bedsore was from God kissing Roscoe and sending him back. This heart in the clouds was Roscoe letting us know that he was safe in God's arms.

2 comments:

  1. I think it also resembles the heart where God kissed Roscoe on his forehead the day He took him home. What a lovely photo taken just at the right time. Coincidence? I think not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just became aware of this new blog today! So glad that you have chosen to keep writing. I see bits of Roscoe everyday in the most random of places. He has changed my view of life forever.

    ReplyDelete