Saturday, August 30, 2014

Missing Piece

In May 2012, our large rear projection TV had burned out and was located in our upstairs room. Rather than try to delicately move a broken TV down a curved staircase, I decided to take the easy route. I used my reciprocating saw to cut the TV in half horizontally, so that we could move the two halves outside to be removed. Inside the TV was a high-quality spotless mirror that I pulled out before cutting.

Alisha and I did a fun experiment in the back yard with that mirror. The reflection in the TV mirror wasn't like a normal mirror, it was a spot-on duplication because the mirror had no spots and no distortion. Alisha had me stand in the yard and point the mirror at an angle where she'd see a reflection of grass in the mirror. She took pictures with her cell phone and didn't modify them at all in photoshop. Here's what it looked like:





I'd like to use these pictures as a visual illustration of what it feels like for Roscoe to not be with us. It feels like a part of me is missing. It doesn't feel like a part of me has been severed, blown up, amputated, or burned off. It just feels like it's not there, and in its place is emptiness.

I don't expect that emptiness to ever go away. I will always be (and proudly identify myself as) "that guy who lost his 9 month old son". We will hopefully have other kids, but they won't fill the hole that Roscoe left. It's odd to think this way, because if we'd never had Roscoe then nothing would have been missing. However, he came into our lives and 9.5 months later he disappeared and took a part of us with him. We'll most certainly be happy, laugh often, and play frequently, so don't think this means we'll go into depression. It just means that we won't get that part of ourselves back until we're reunited with him again. Until then, we'll feel incomplete.

6 comments:

  1. Right now, just before I checked to see if there was a new blog, I was praying that it would all be a bad dream and Roscoe would be alive and healthy here on earth. There are huge chunks of our hearts missing, too.
    God is taking good care of Roscoe, but I'm missing him every moment of every day.....
    Love to you , Alisha, and Roscoe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome description. A completely real, amazing, smiley, sweet-voiced, happy no matter what, flirty, captured your heart little boy that is now .......gone but never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative pictures! Nicole thinks you may need a big bandaid to put your legs back on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such neat pictures! As we grow older it seems we go on with lots of missing pieces we have to leave behind. The sadness is always there, but we find ways of thinking of & remember the happy & being thankful for the time no matter how long or short! Sometimes we never know why things happen. We can only hope good comes from them. I think a lot of good came from Roscoe and you, & Alisha! You made all of us reevaluate ourselves. Continually thinking of you all and keeping you & Alisha in prayer!

    ReplyDelete