Friday, October 3, 2014

Talking to Myself

What were you doing on this day last year? The past few weeks I've wondered what I could say if I could talk to myself from a year ago. Since I posted daily on Roscoe's Story, I have a record of what was happening each day in my life from a year ago. Many of you may have something similar using facebook's timeline, your email history, your credit card history, or pictures on your phone. We all have some kind of digital record of our daily life.


The digital day-by-day record we have makes me wonder what I'd say to myself in October 2013. Hopefully I am wiser now than I was then. How would I get my 2013 self to act on my 2014 wisdom? Would I warn myself of the specific dangers to come, or would I merely try to explain the character I'd need to withstand them?

Here are some of the things that I'd tell myself, if I could talk to the me from one year ago:
  • "Your baby is a boy, not a girl. Doctors don't know everything."
  • "Enjoy watching your baby grow. There are ups and downs that will happen, many advances and setbacks. Just enjoy the time with Roscoe and tune out the machines, nurses, and stale hospital air. Focus on your son."
  • "Don't work so much. There are more important things."
  • "Don't underestimate the power of prayer. Pray honestly, openly, and expecting a powerful result. Pray every day in Roscoe's room for him to come home. Never leave the house without doing that first to show God what is important to you."
  • "Take lots of pictures and videos. You will appreciate them later when you have time to sit and reflect."
  • "This year will be the best year of your life so far. It will be hard, but you will love it."
What would you say to yourself, if you could talk to the you from one year ago? What do you think the October 2015 self would say to you right now?

1 comment:

  1. I would say that I will always love my son, and his wife, and their son, and to be thankful for each second spent with them : )

    ReplyDelete