Monday, November 3, 2014

Sermon Handouts

Many of you may already know that I occasionally teach sermons at church. I have presented my first talk in 1993 or 1994, which means that this year marks the 20-year mark for me as a teacher. Over the years I have developed my own speaking style, but it is largely based upon speakers which I felt were very effective at communicating information to me. I presumed that if I connected with a speaker's style, then other people would connect with me if I did the same. That's based on an incorrect assumption that all audience members have the same listening style, but it seems to have worked well enough.


The past few years I have been speaking, I've developed handouts for each sermon. I find that a handout has several benefits:

  • It forces me to structure my thoughts well enough to convey them in written format.
  • It helps clarify which parts of the sermon are interpretation and which are scripture.
  • If a listener's mind goes on a tangent or their kids distract them, it gives them the ability to pick up the parts of the sermon that they missed.
  • It gives listeners a reference for later, in case they'd like to think about it again or study further.
In a future blog post, I can explain a little about the structure of the handouts that I use. If you'd like to see the handout I made for the sermon I presented yesterday, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Please post all of your lessons and handouts - to help us curb our ignorance!
    I remember your first lesson was on how big Heaven is, where you used your math to show it's dimensions and teach us that there's plenty of room for all!
    Thank you for this : ) ♡

    ReplyDelete