Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentine's Day Flowers

Last night, I cooked a special dinner ("surf and turf") and then surprised her with the news that we were going to visit the UC Berkeley botanical garden the following day:


We woke up early this morning so that we could arrive at Acme Bread Company just after they opened. We got to see the sunrise while we drove down the highway:


We learned to enjoy their green olive sourdough one visit, and have been back to try other breads (including the ham & cheese turnover shown below) since. We usually get lots of bread and freeze it, since they don't have any locations close by. This time we went a little overboard:

Me holding 2 sourdough loaves (top),
3 green olive loaves (middle),
and a bag with 3 cranberry wheat walnut loaves (bottom)

Ham and cheese turnover

All was not food, though. The focus of our trip was the botanical garden. Alisha loves the colors, sizes, and shapes of flowers. Honestly I wouldn't have appreciated how complicated and intricate flowers are if she didn't adore them so much. We walked through different regions of the garden which included plants and trees from South and Central America, the Mediterranean, Asia, South Africa, and then a few greenhouses (including a tropical one which reminded us of Hawaii).

The best part of Valentine's Day was that Alisha surprised me with a project she'd worked on (with some help from Sarah Modgling). Alisha copied Roscoe's Story into book format and had it printed and bound into a 381-page softcover book, then presented it to me at dinner!


2 comments:

  1. I want to visit the bread place ! And the gardens . When Ali put some of her pictures of flowers on blog, I never had realized the details of each flower ! What a unique expression of God's awesome creation of each details . .

    Shaun I would love to see your book .( I thought that would be a neat thing to do with Roscoe's story.Something like that would need to be done by a person (s) good at it . And who better that Ali. & Sarah. And a sweet opportunity too.) That's a labor of love but then so is your cooking 😆.
    Ok . I also want you to know I enjoy your blogs . So keep them up . And Teaching is good too .especially the way you do . I enjoy them as well . Oh but what else would you expect from a Ma ! Love you both .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear the blog got turned into a book! I was thinking that would be such a neat idea. Good job, Alisha! (& Sarah)
    Sounds like a good Valentine's Day/weekend.
    Love you guys!
    (& happy early anniversary!)

    ReplyDelete